Saturday, July 18, 2009

Setback




Well, I was hoping I'd wouldn't have to write a post like this, but Bella had a setback yesterday. She started holding up her leg that had ACL replacement, and wouldn't put it down. We think this happened because this past week she's been on the bed with me a lot, and has been jumping off and on many times a day. Since we have a tall bed, it was probably too much for her leg to take.


We had to call the vet and make a trip there yesterday evening. The good news is that she's lost 1.5 pounds since we were there last, down to 47.8 pounds. She's lost 7 pounds since February. Pretty good! When we got to the vet, she was running around on her leg like there was nothing wrong with it, but then gradually starting holding it up again. Dr. Munger examined her, and he's hoping that she may have just put too much stress on it and that it will get better with rest and confinement. So it's back to the way it was after surgery: confined with a baby gate, only gets to go outside on a leash, up and down the stairs carried by Todd. He also gave us a prescription for Tramadol. I realized this is the same pain killer that my spine doctor gave me! I figured my dosage would be higher than hers, but I looked, at they're both 50mg. CRAZY! Shouldn't a dog that's much smaller than me be on a much smaller dosage? We gave her one last night and one this morning, and she's out of it. I guess it's good that they make her want to sleep so she can rest her leg, but I feel bad that she's so zoned out.

So for right now, we're just watching it and hoping that it gets better with rest. If she isn't better in two weeks, Dr. Munger wants to do x-rays again. I was really hoping we were past this point!

We could really use your positive thoughts and prayers. Not only would another surgery be extremely expensive, but it's very hard to go through for her and us.

Thanks :)


1 comment:

  1. That's a bummer. Hopefully she will make a speedy recovery!! You need to get her doggy steps for your bed so she doesn't need to jump.

    Love,
    suzanne

    ReplyDelete